Tuesday, July 6, 2010

On Larvae.....

I mentioned a large larva on June 28, 2010 (click here to see the entry). The large larva has just shed it skin today. Now the large larva has well developed wing cases (see the photo below), and I believe that it has entered F0 stage. The large larva is now meausuring up to 52 mm from head to tail! Really large! The shape of the larva does look like the larva of Anax guttatus.


Anax guttatus larva?



I actually also caught a baby larva (10 mm) a few days ago. The baby larva is so cute (see photo below). It has white and dark segments - very unique. The shape of this baby larva resemble the large larva above.....

a baby larva



I also mentioned about another aeshnid larva (smaller one; see the photo below) on June 28, 2010 (click here to see the entry). This larva has been out of water for the last 3-4 days (even during day time). It is going to emerge tonight! I'm going to have the answer of its real id by tomorrow!

a Gynacantha larva?